Yes, you should buy the Asurion Power Wheels Protection on Amazon because it covers the lithium-ion batteries that are included. These batteries lose charge over time and you will be able to get a replacement battery from the service center when this happens because it will as long as the ride-on is being driven.
Many people are wondering if it is a good idea to buy Power Wheels Extended Warranty on Amazon. The answer, as with most things in life, is complicated.
There are some pros and cons that you should consider before purchasing the warranty from Amazon. We will discuss these points below so that you can make the best decision for your family’s needs!
Best Power Wheels
If you are looking for the Best Power Wheels, this will help.
Power Wheels Warranty
Before we decide if we should purchase the extra protection plan let’s first look at what the Power Wheels authorized service warranty covers. The Power Wheels service center warranty will cover any defects in the manufacturing and design of your child’s ride-on toy.
It is important to note that this does not include wear & tear, such as battery life or tire treads for the limited one-year warranty. However; the full 6-month warranty does cover the battery.
Of course with all this there are loopholes, so make sure you read the fine print.
I would consider this more of a 6-month warranty than one year personally, but we are covered for 6 months and usually, when things go wrong they happen in the early days.
If you need to contact Power Wheels Customer Service you can by clicking here to connect to their service center.
This is just for the Power Wheels warranty, if the ride-on car is not by the brand Power Wheels then you would want to check their specific warranty information on the product page.
Amazon Ride-On Return Policy
This is where it gets really tricky. Amazon does have a return policy but each vendor has different types.
You will find some that do not accept returns at all, most of them will exchange if it arrives defective. There are others that offer it but can charge a restocking fee, which on the one I looked at was up to 50% of the cost of the product! That’s very high!
Make sure to be very sure of the Power Wheels you purchase, but this is a big reason why I am for the Asurion Ride-On Protection Plan.
What the Asurion Ride-On Protection Plan Covers
Here is what the Ride-On Protection plan covers word for word from Asurion on Amazon.
- NO ADDITIONAL COST: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor, and shipping included.
- COVERAGE: Plan starts on the date of purchase. Drops, spills, and cracked screens due to normal use covered for portable products and power surges covered from day one. Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer’s warranty.
- PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Plans cover products purchased in the last 30 days.
- EASY CLAIMS PROCESS: File a claim anytime online or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. If we can’t repair it, we’ll send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price of your covered product or replace it.
Pros and Cons of Asurion Ride-On Protection Plan
- Pay once for the term which I would recommend at least 2 years depending on the age range of the toy vehicle and your child. If your child is on the younger side of the range and weight limit, I would go longer.
- Covering Power Surges can be a great thing to have as the ride-on cars have a lot going for them in the electrical area. If the vehicle receives a high voltage that it can’t handle, it is covered for repair.
- Fair prices and instructions are easy to follow.
- Covered after manufacturer warranty:
- Electrical and mechanical malfunctions meaning the battery is covered!
- Failures due to normal wear and tear
- If they can’t repair it they will give you a replacement or an Amazon gift card of the stock purchase price of the toy.
- Starts right away or you can backdate it but if it’s for a gift a month later you will lose that time.
- You are not covered for scratches, dents, and dings if the product is still working.
- Loss, theft, and intentional damage are not covered.
- Malfunctions covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
- This is not covered by Amazon, it is covered by a popular third-party insurance company which is Asurion.
Would I Purchase Power Wheels Insurance
If I was purchasing for an everyday consumer for my child I would absolutely get the 2-year plan. The expense to get a replacement 12-volt battery alone would be worth this.
The battery will start to fade at the 1-year mark or earlier and with this plan, you just contact them on their website or call their phone service center which is open 24 hours a day, and a replacement Power Wheels 12-volt battery is sent to your address.
If I’m purchasing the Power Wheels model to do my own electric modifications then the plan service just wouldn’t be worth it. I’m sure they won’t like me making my own adjustments to the vehicle and may not approve me for repairs, though from their website I couldn’t find specific information on this.
I’m mainly talking about purchasing Power Wheels and adding my own batteries to increase the speed for it to go faster. If you plan to do something similar then skip it.
I personally would buy the Amazon Ride-On Protection Plan for toys like Power Wheels. The extra money for the protection is worth it if you have Power Wheels that will be outside all day, every day as most ride-on vehicles are out in the sun and heat more than inside sitting on the carpet or hardwood floors.
The warranty does cover normal wear and tear of the 6V, 12V, or 24V battery which can pay for itself, and trust me Lithium-ion batteries due lose charge over time, usually around the 1-year mark that is why I recommend at least 2 years.
These are the same type of batteries that are in your phone and you know the charge fades over time.
If you are looking to get started finding your kids perfect Power Wheels we have complete buyers guides. Once you find the Power Wheels they will have an option to add the insurance if you choose.
Please be careful and use at your own risk
None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with RCRideOnCars.com, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.
Kevinsmak is a content producer of RC Ride On Cars. He always works with his testers to find the best Power Wheels for families everywhere. His mission is to ensure people get the most appropriate ride-on car for their children so they can drive all day safely.